The pediment and lower half of the dome of l’Institut de France at night.

L’Institut de France was opened on October 25th 1795 in quarters of the Collège des Quatre-Nations at 23 quai de Conti. The building was designed by architect Louis Le Vau, its construction began in 1662 and the college opened in 1688.

Photographs of the Left Bank.